The art project was inspired by the 50th anniversary of the anthology of animal fairy tales from the oral tradition of Rezija, The Little Beasts of Rezija, written by the Milko Matičetov, PhD, Honorary Member of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts (SAZU).
The second-year students of illustration (BA) at the Faculty of Fine Arts and Design of the University of Ljubljana were introduced to the fairy tales of Rezija in December 2022 by the researcher of the Faculty of Education, Milena Mileva Blažić, PhD, and then the creative work started under the mentorship of assoc. prof. Suzi Bricelj.
This year, the illustrations were exhibited at the Academy of Fine Arts and Design and the Faculty of Arts of the University of Ljubljana, as well as in Cerknica and Gorizia (Italy). This time, they are on display at the Institute of Slavonic Studies at the University of Vienna!
The exhibitors are: Gaja Aksinja Abramović, Matevž Bervar, Rea Bartulović, Zala N. Doupona, Jon Kušar, Eva Ježovnik, Nikolina Popov, Urša Volovšek, Amadeja Gvendolina Završnik.
At the opening of the exhibition, the following speakers addressed the audience:
– prof. Domen Fras, Academy of Fine Arts and Design: On the illustrations of the students of the Academy of Fine Arts,
– Luigia Negro, Museum of the Rezijan People: Storytelling the dialect of Rezija,
– Matej Šekli, PhD, Faculty of Arts: Rezijanščina as a Slovenian dialect,
– Milena Blažić, PhD, Faculty of Education: On The Little Beasts of Rezija.
In the organization of the exhibition participated:
– Institute for Slavonic Studies of the University of Vienna,
– Slovenian Cultural Information Centre in Austria,
– Academy of Fine Arts and Design, University of Ljubljana,
– Cultural Association “Museum of the People of the Resia Valley”,
– Fran Ramovš Institute for the Slovenian Language, ZRC SAZU,
– Faculty of Education, University of Ljubljana.
The exhibition is on display till 12 November 2023.
Illustration: Zala N. Doupona
Coordinators: Milena Mileva Blažić, PhD, Faculty of Education, and Suzi Bricelj, Academy of Fine Arts and Design